Friday 30 September 2011

loads of sage.....................

Sam, my son had been making fresh pesto at school in Food tech. Having tried to freeze my abundant fresh sage last year and ending up with blackenend and deeply unattractive leaves, we set about making sage pesto last night.
Sage is one of most favourite herbs but used alone we found it a bit strong here so we mixed with fresh spinach leaves and used walnuts in place of pine nuts (we toasted those after a couple of attempts which gave the whole thing a toasty creamy flavour)
have put it in jars at moment, but think it would freeze brilliantly. I used parmesan last night but if I was to freeze it I might try it with Roquefort as I think the blue cheese/walnut classic combo might be a winner............... let you know how we get on

No comments:

Post a Comment